Last Updated: January 28, 2020.
Collection of Information: We aim to collect, use and disclose only such information as is required to enable us to manage your account, to provide the Services, to maintain our customer/user lists, to respond to your inquiries or provide feedback, for identification and authentication purposes, and for service improvement. We will maintain the confidentiality of any contact information you provide to us when you sign up for our Services, marketing communications, or contact us with questions or for further information and we will use it only for the purposes for which we have collected it (subject to the exclusions and disclosures we have listed below), unless you agree that we may disclose it to other third parties.
Two types of information may be collected through the Website and our Services: Personal Information and Website Information.
“Personal Information” is personally identifiable information, such as your name, address, e-mail address, credit card information, address, birth date and gender. At the time of collection, we will clearly identify the information being collected and the purposes for which it will be used. It is always your choice whether or not to provide Personal Information but if you choose not to provide certain requested Personal Information, in some instances you may not be able to access and use all of the features of the Website and Services. In other instances, your choice not to provide certain other Personal Information may mean that you will not be able to use certain features of the Website. We may collect Personal Information in respect of the Website through registration process, request form submission, quote inquiries, communications with you; user support; online tools; and expert advice services.
“Website Information” is information we collect when you visit our Website, such as an Internet Protocol Address (IP Address), the domain used to access the Website, and the type and version of browser or operating system being used by visitors to the Website.
We also collect aggregate information, such as demographic statistics of our users (e.g. average age or geographical allocation of our users), number of visitors, what pages users’ access or visit, and average time spent on the Website. Similarly, business contact information such as the name, title, business address, or telephone number of a business or professional person or an employee of an organization is not considered Personal Information when such information is used for the purposes of contacting the individual in their business/professional capacity.
Use of Information: We collect information for the following purposes:
- Registration: You may be asked to register for an account to use the Services. If you choose to register for an account you must provide certain Personal Information to us such as your full name, address, cell phone number and email address. Unless you provide consent, none of your account registration information will be shared with any other users of the Website or our Services. You will confirm your preferred communication format such as and not inclusive of home phone, cell phone, work phone, text and/or email.
- Online Tools:We may offer tools such as a mortgage calculator, Canada child benefit calculator, RRSP calculator, TFSA Room calculator, and credit card finder. If you use these tools, we collect information you provide (such as your income, RESP balance, credit score, etc.) in order to provide you with the features and functions of the tools. Unless you provide consent, none of the information provided will be shared with any other users of the Website or our Services.
- Mortgage Application: If you complete a mortgage application form on ownestfinancial.com, we collect personal information including your first and last name, email address, phone number, province, date of birth, address history, annual income, financial institution, employment status and other employment-related information, and financial assets. We will also obtain your consent for Ownest to obtain your credit report from a credit reporting agency. We share your credit report and other information provided on your application form with potential mortgage lenders so that they can assess your eligibility for a mortgage, and we may also share information with financial intermediaries and mortgage insurers as necessary to provide services to you. Your credit report may include information such as the types and amounts of credit advanced to you, payment histories, negative banking items, collection actions, legal proceedings, previous bankruptcies and other information reported by your creditors. You authorize credit reporting agencies to provide such information to us. If we are unable to obtain your credit report based on your name, date of birth and mailing address alone, we may request you to provide other information, such as your social insurance number, on an optional basis which we will use to help us identify you with a credit reporting agency.
- Location Information: Certain third-party products and services are only available in certain areas, and therefore we may ask for your location, either by requesting your postal code, city, and/or address.
- Marketing Communications and Product Recommendations: If you’re signed-up to receive marketing communications from us, we collect your name and email address to send you information about our product and services and those of our partners that may be of interest to you. We may also use the information we have about you as well as information obtained from third parties in order to provide you with personalized product recommendations on ownestfinancial.com. You may withdraw your consent to receiving marketing communications or product recommendations from us at any time by following the opt-out instructions in each communication, or by contacting our customer service department at email@example.com .
- Statistics: We also collect statistics about your use of third-party products and services that you request information about through the Website. This information will be kept confidential, however, aggregate statistics that do not personally identify an individual will be kept by us and such aggregate statistics may be made available to other members or third parties.
- IP address: Your IP address is reported by your web browser whenever you visit a page on the Website. This information is recorded together with your registration information on our databases.
- Analytics: We may use a third party such as Google Analytics to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on the Website (such as the pages most read, time spent, search terms and other engagement data) in order to evaluate and improve the user experience and the Website. For more information or to opt-out using the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, see “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” and “Google Analytics and Privacy”.
- Interest-Based Advertising: Advertisements appearing on the Website may be delivered by us or one or more third-party web advertisers. These third-party web advertisers may set cookies or other technologies on the Website. These cookies allow the advertisement server operated by that third party to recognize your computer each time they send you an online advertisement. Accordingly, advertisement servers may compile information about where or whether you viewed their advertisements and which advertisements you clicked on. This information allows web advertisers to deliver targeted advertisements that they believe will be of most interest to you.
We work with third parties such as ad networks and other advertising companies that use their own tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our Website in order to provide you with tailored advertisements on our Website and across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our Website and third-party websites (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to make predictions about your preferences, develop personalized content and deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third party websites. This information may also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of our online advertising campaigns.
Opting-out of Interest-Based Advertising: For more information about interest-based advertising and to understand your options, including how you can opt-out of receiving behavioural ads from third-party advertising companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website at http://youradchoices.ca/choices.
Please note that even if you opt-out of interest-based advertising by a third party, these tracking technologies may still collect data for other purposes including analytics and you will still see ads from us, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioural information about you and may therefore be less relevant to you and your interests.
To successfully opt out, you must have cookies enabled in your web browser (see your browser’s instructions for information on cookies and how to enable them). Your opt-out only applies to the web browser you use so you must opt-out of each web browser on each computer you use. Once you opt out, if you delete your browser’s saved cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
We may also share your personal information with third parties with your consent such as if you request information about third party products or services or if you apply for products or services offered by third parties through ownestfinancial.com.
Our servers (and certain service providers) are also located in Canada and accordingly your Personal Information may be available to the Canadian government or its agencies under a lawful order, irrespective of the safeguards we have put in place for the protection of your Personal Information.
From time to time we may employ third parties to help us improve the Website and/or the Services. These third parties may have limited access to databases of user information solely for the purpose of helping us to improve the Website and/or the Services and they will be subject to contractual restrictions prohibiting them from using the information about our members for any other purpose.
Important Exceptions: We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your consent if we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other Website members, other users of the Services, or anyone else (including the rights or property of anyone else) that could be harmed by such activities. We may disclose Personal Information when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is required or permitted by and in accordance with applicable law.
Security: The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We use commercially reasonable efforts to store and maintain your Personal Information in a secure environment. We take technical, contractual, administrative, and physical security steps designed to protect Personal Information that you provide to us. We have implemented procedures designed to limit the dissemination of your Personal Information to only such designated staff as are reasonably necessary to carry out the stated purposes we have communicated to you.
Firewalls are utilized to restrict access to systems from external networks and between systems internally. By default, all access is denied and only explicitly allowed ports and protocols are allowed based on business need. Each system is assisted to a firewall security group based on the systems function Security groups restrict access to only the ports and protocols required for a system’s specific function to mitigate risk.
Our Firewalls prevent IP, MAC, and ARP spoofing on the network and between virtual hosts to ensue spoofing is not possible. Packet sniffing is prevented by infrastructure including the hypervisor which will not deliver traffic to an interface which it is not addressed to. Utilizing application isolation, operating system restrictions, and encrypted connections to further ensure risk is mitigated at all levels.
You are also responsible for helping to protect the security of your Personal Information. For instance, never give out your email account information or your password for the Services to third parties.
Access and Accuracy: You have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you in order to verify the Personal Information we have collected in respect to you and to have a general account of our uses of that information. Upon receipt of your written request, we will provide you with a copy of your Personal Information although in certain limited circumstances, we may not be able to make all relevant information available to you such as where that information also pertains to another user. In such circumstances we will provide reasons for the denial to you upon request. We will endeavor to deal with all requests for access and modifications in a timely manner.
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up-to-date, and we will provide you with mechanisms to update, correct, delete or add to your Personal Information as appropriate. As appropriate, this amended Personal Information will be transmitted to those parties to which we are permitted to disclose your information. Having accurate Personal Information about you enables us to give you the best possible service.
Contact Us: You can help by keeping us informed of any changes such as a change of address or telephone number. If you would like to access your information, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, if you find any errors in our information about you, or for more information on the manner in which we or our service providers use your Personal Information, please contact our customer service team at: firstname.lastname@example.org